Combining Panasonic’s Varicam LT with Panasonic’s OLED EVF, Interchangeable PL Mount, Cinema-Style Shoulder Mount, and Grip Module creates an camera package that is ergonomically balanced, requiring only batteries, media, and a lens to go shoot. The camera itself features a Super 35-sized sensor with two distinct native ISO ratings. This kit includes an interchangeable PL mount that enables you to swap out the EF mount that ships with the camera, so you can use PL mounted lenses.
Designed to work with the Varicam LT, the OLED viewfinder features a variety of advanced functions, menu and navigation buttons, as well as an indexed diopter adjustment range. All the hardware required to mount it to your camera is included with the EVF. The shoulder mount features a padded shoulder cavity and is compatible with VCT-14 tripod plates. It incorporates front and rear mounted 15mm rod clamps and the ARRI compatible rosettes are replaceable. The Grip Module is a contoured handgrip with integrated start/stop trigger. The grip can be adjusted for your comfort and attaches to an ARRI-compatible rosette.
Panasonic Cinema VariCam LT 4K S35 Digital Cinema Camera (EF Mount)
Panasonic’s Cinema VariCam LT 4K S35 is a single Super 35-sized sensor digital cinema camera with a lightweight magnesium body and interchangeable lens mount. It shares the same sensor as the Varicam 35, which features dual native ISO ratings of 800 and 5000. The camera is capable of capturing 14-stops of dynamic range when using V-Log and recording up to 60 fps at 4K, and up to 240 fps at 2K.
You can record your footage to high-data-rate files using the camera’s built-in expressP2 card slot (expressP2 cards not included) while simultaneously recoding proxy files to the camera’s SD card slot. The proxy files can incorporate color grading changes that the high-resolution files do not, making it easy for post to see your intent, without baking the look into your high-quality, camera-original files. The camera features selectable gamma curves, allowing you to get the most out of the sensor. It supports recording using AVC-Intra, AVC-Intra 4K, and Apple ProRes codecs. The 3.5″ control panel can function as an LCD screen or be used to control the camera’s functions.
- The VariCam LT ships with a removable stainless steel EF mount, which you can swap out for a PL mount if you choose. Please note that the PL mount is not included and must be sourced separately.
- Same Imager as VariCam 35
- The VariCam LT is equipped with the Super 35mm, single-chip MOS that offers 4K (4096 x 2160) and UHD (3840 x 2160) resolution. It boasts high sensitivity, low noise, and wide dynamic range. The sensor’s size delivers the classic cinematic depth of field as it is the same size as the film frame in motion picture cameras.
- Wide 14+ Stops of Latitude
- The camera features a dynamic range of 14+ stops when shooting in Panasonic’s BV-Log, which enables accurate image rendering over the entire image, from dark areas to highlights. Even in very dimly lit scenes, the VariCam LT provides low-noise images without any compromise in picture quality.
- Dual Native ISO of 800/5000
- The sensor of the VariCam LT has two dedicated analog circuits that are implemented on every pixel. This allows the sensor to have two native ISO settings: 800 and 5000. The noise level at 5000 ISO is nearly identical to that seen at 800 ISO. Normally noise is introduced in the gain process of rating ISO in digital cameras; however, the native 5000 ISO rating sidesteps the issue of adding gain to capture low light images.
- Expansive Color Gamut
- The VariCam LT is equipped with V-Gamut, which encompasses the entire BT.2020 color space.
- Scene Files and V-LOOK
- The VariCam-LOOK (V-LOOK) mode is a setting for creating cinematic images without color grading. Featuring a gamma curve that allows detail to be maintained over a greater tonal range within the Rec 709 color space that has also been included in the VariCam LT. The V-709 gamma setting provides a tone suitable for viewing on standard monitors while the BC-LOOK creates a look that mimics traditional TV broadcast images.
- Monitoring Output Terminals
- The VariCam LT provides down conversion to Full HD via two 3G HDSDI outputs and one VF output (BNC) while shooting in 4K.Your look with in-camera color grading and information overlay can be applied to each output.
- Native 4K/60p Shooting
- The maximum frame rate when recording in 4K (4096 x 2160) or UHD (3840×2160) resolution is 60p (60 fps).
- 2K/HD 240p Slow Motion
- When shooting in 2K (2048 x 1080) and HD (1920×1080) resolution, high-speed 240 fps recording can be used to produce an extreme slow-motion effect. Variable frame rates are available from 1 to 120 fps in AVC-Intra 2K422 and from 120 to 240 fps in AVC-Intra 2K-LT. The frame rate is variable in-shot while recording.
- Multiple Codec 4K/UHD/2K/HD Recording
- Using the AVC-Intra 4K codec, the VariCam LT can record 4K (4096 x 2160) or UHD (3840 x 2160) resolution. For 2K recording, the VariCam LT supports AVC-Intra 2K444/2K422/2K-LT. For HD recording, the VariCam LT supports AVC-Intra 444/422/100/LT and Apple ProRes 4444/HQ.
- Media Card Recording
- Using the 256 GByte expressP2 card, the camera can record approximately 90 minutes of 23.98p 4K video with AVC-Intra 4K422. The camera can simultaneously record proxy-quality footage to an SD card.
- In-Camera Color Grading
- The VariCam LT features an in-camera color grading function (3D LUT/CDL). This enables color tuning on set as well as in the field when using the camera control panel or 3rd party software. Grading information such as 3D LUT files and CDL files can be recorded simultaneously with the image data, providing a simple way of protecting your vision from overly aggressive editorial tweaking.
- Main and Proxy Recording
- The VariCam LT can record files to an SD memory card while simultaneously recording high-data-rate files to an optional expressP2 card.This feature lets you record an ungraded 4K master with V-Log in the main expressP2 card recorder while simultaneously recording graded HD files on the SD memory card.
- The VariCam LT features a removable IR filter. This allows you the freedom to record footage with or without the IR cut filter in any lighting situation.
- Lightweight, Tough, and Flexible
- The lens mount is made of stainless steel and designed to prevent flange back deviation due to temperature changes.
- The camera body is made of strong, rigid magnesium.
- The top and bottom panels have been made flat for easy installation of various plates and accessories.
- Mounting holes are provided on both sides as well as on the handle for convenient mounting of accessories.
Panasonic Viewfinder for VariCam LT
The Panasonic Viewfinder for the VariCam LT features a 720p OLED display that more accurately shows the notable skin tones the camera captures. The camera monitor always remains on regardless of whether the viewfinder is in use or not.
This robust viewfinder features a metal composite build, heat dissipation bars on the rear, focus dial, a 1-9 stepped, indexible diopter dial, and two assignable preset buttons. The preset buttons can be programmed with functions such as “with or without LUT display.”
There is an SDI connector for connecting to the camera for video display, and a Hirose port for connecting to the camera for power. The included camera-mounting bracket allows for versatile adjustment, including extending the viewfinder out horizontally.
- Key Features
- 720p OLED viewfinder for VariCam LT
- 1-9 Stepped, indexible diopter dial
- Two assignable preset buttons
- Robust, metal composite build
- Heat dissipation bars on the rear
- Camera monitor remains on even when the viewfinder is in use
- Made in Japan
Panasonic Cinema-Style Shoulder Mount for VariCam LT
A key accessory for the VariCam LT, the Cinema-Style Shoulder Mount from Panasonic not only serves as a shoulder support for the camera, but also as a 15mm LWS rod baseplate for building up your rig. The camera interfaces with the Shoulder Mount via an included ARRI standard sliding quick release plate for easy attachment and removal on set, while the shoulder support itself complies with the VCT-14 standard, allowing you to mount the entire rig to compatible tripod plates. For accessory mounting and support, the Shoulder Mount features front and rear 15mm rod clamps, with ARRI standard rosettes near the front rod clamps to support an optional Grip Module or other third-party hand grips. In addition to the VCT interface, the V-wedge has a 3/8″-16 threaded hole for mounting your rig to other tripod and dovetail plates.
- Designed specifically for VariCam LT
- Padded shoulder support
- ARRI standard sliding plate for camera attachment
- Front and rear 15mm LWS rod clamps with ratcheting levers
- ARRI standard rosettes for attaching optional Grip Module or other accessories
- Standard VCT-14 mounting interface
- 3/8″-16 Tripod mounting screw
Panasonic Grip Module for VariCam LT
The Grip Module for VariCam LT is a right-sided handgrip and extension arm for shoulder-mounted operation of the VariCam LT digital cinema camera. It attaches to the VariCam’s optional cinema-style or ENG-style shoulder mounts, but will also attach to any shoulder rig or rod support system that features an ARRI standard rosette. The Grip Module includes an ergonomic handgrip and a telescopic arm that extends from approximately 8.3 to 10.4″. The handgrip features a REC start/stop button, iris control dial, and two user-assignable buttons for quick access to frequently used camera functions. Integrated into the grip is an 11″ coiled control cable with a 12-pin Hirose connector to interface with the camera.
- Extension arm and grip for VariCam LT
- ARRI standard rosettes for arm and grip attachment
- 8.3 to 10.4″ arm extension range
- REC start/stop button
- Iris control dial
- Two user-assignable buttons (one one top, one on inside of grip)
- Integrated 11″ coiled cable with 12-pin Hirose connector
Panasonic PL Mount Adapter for VariCam LT
Among the variety of optional accessories Panasonic has released for the VariCam LT is a robust PL Mount Adapter. The camera’s EF mount can easily be switched out for this adapter, and the flange distance remains the same.