Bundling high performance raw video recording in a compact camera body, the RED DIGITAL CINEMA DSMC2 BRAIN with Dragon-X 5K S35 Sensor is part of RED’s modular camera system. Nearly limitless lens options are available for the DSMC2 system. While this camera requires a separately available lens mount, DSMC lens mounts themselves are offered in different varieties for compatibility with a wide array of lens systems.
REDCODE RAW is the format of choice for DSMC2 cameras. RED’s versatile raw codec uses wavelet compression to reduce data rates while maintaining a visually lossless image rendering. This efficient codec can be edited on many available NLE software programs without transcoding, though if you prefer you can record to ProRes or DNx as well. Lowering the recording resolution allows the sensor to capture higher frame rates for dramatic slow-motion footage. The DSMC2 cameras use sensor windowing to record slow motion in lower resolutions, requiring wider or smaller-format lenses to compensate for the additional crop. Recording rates range from 12 fps and up, including 24/25/30/48/50/60 fps and higher.
- Dragon-X 5K S35 Sensor
- The Dragon-X 5K Super 35mm sensor is a 13.8MP CMOS sensor that features a dynamic range of 16.5+ stops and a resolution of 5120 x 2700.
- REDCODE RAW
- The cornerstone of RED’s workflow is the robust REDCODE RAW file format. Using wavelet compression with ratios ranging from 2:1 to 22:1, REDCODE RAW offers the versatility of raw files without the overwhelming storage requirements of uncompressed image data. Since REDCODE RAW has been around since the days of the RED ONE cinema camera, many common NLE software programs including Adobe Premiere Pro, Blackmagic Design DaVinci Resolve, Apple Final Cut Pro, and Avid Media Composer can import and edit REDCODE RAW footage without transcoding, saving production time in the edit suite. Capture rates range from 12 fps and up, including 24/25/30/48/50/60 fps and higher options.Note: Not all compression ratios are available at all resolutions and frame rates
- Apple ProRes and Avid DNx Formats
- For projects requiring proxy files or quicker turnaround times than raw files permit, Apple ProRes or Avid DNx formats can be recorded at 4K and 2K resolutions directly to the onboard MINI-MAG media. Since these debayered video files can be recorded alongside the raw files, no extra time is required for transcoding the proxies. Bring the debayered files straight into your NLE and begin editing.
- DSMC2 Form Factor
- Like the preceding DSMC cameras, RED designed the DSMC2 camera line to be modular to fit a wide range of production workflows. Smaller and lighter than the original DSMC design, when stripped down to the BRAIN itself, you have a high-resolution gimbal workhorse. Likewise, add DSMC2 modules to the rear to gain professional I/O connections and battery power. Many other parts of the DSMC2 design are meant to be interchangeable. Swap out the lens mounts to open up new libraries of lenses. Exchange the included standard OLPF (Optical Low-Pass Filter) for alternative image renderings at the sensor level. Mount an EVF without cables that can get snagged, or use a separately available adapter to attach RED LCDs via LEMO cable. Since the DSMC2 form factor is standardized, any accessories that you have for this DSMC2 body will work with any other DSMC2 body, should you upgrade or acquire an additional body in the future.
- Color Management
- Supports 33x33x33, 32x32x32, 26x26x26, and 17x17x17 3D LUTs
Variable number of 3D LUT outputs with DSMC2 expander module
User-programmable shaper 1D LUTs
Tetrahedral interpolation, 16-bit processing